Sunday, December 6, 2009

Thanksgiving Blessings & Tricks

Today, I walked through the grocery store doing my last minute shopping. The store was filled with associates eagerly stocking shelves, frantic customers looking for Thanksgiving goodies, and tons of disgruntled customers grumbling about long lines, lack of their desired staple, and other choice words.
I bobbed and weaved through the maze of people and running children as I scratched off each item on my list. I was ready to grumble until I remembered why I was there and realized that this day was one of blessings, and thanks. I smiled, said a pleasant “excuse me sir or ma’am.” I exchanged polite conversation and pleasantries with the cashier and off I went.
After all, Thanksgiving is about sharing love, being kind to your fellow man, and expressing gratitude to one and all. Sometimes, I have to force myself to be thankful and overlook the small subtleties that want to derail me from what this holiday, and everyday should be about. I force myself to express sympathy when the kids are running up and down the hall and one of them gets hurt. That is, despite being told at least a dozen times not to run in the house.
I force a smile when my hubby says, “Hey honey, tomorrow, I’m going out for a few hours.” That is despite knowing I still need to get to the store, make lunch and dinner for this day, and prepare for tomorrow’s dinner. I have to smile lovingly and realize he needs to recharge as much as I do.
I stop and remember that I love my family and they love me too. Even though the day is hectic and stress level can be high, we take one day out of the whole year to express our sincere gratitude and affection for one another.
I really appreciate it when I learn that there are simple tips and tricks that I can employ that help me focus on the family and not solely on the day of cooking or other thing that wants to distract me.

1. Plan ahead and establish a menu.

2. Decide ahead of time who will make what.

3. Give everyone a job so that everyone feels like they are helping the family.

4. Find shortcuts that help in food preparation: pre-sliced or diced items (i.e. cheese, collard greens, carrots, lettuce, etc.).

5. Prepare as much as possible the day before so you only have minor things to do on the actual Thanksgiving Day (i.e. - boil the macaroni, make the pies, make the potato salad, etc.).

Don’t forget to enjoy the day and share special memories with your family. Laugh out loud and enjoy your family this holiday season.

1 comment:

  1. This was actually created prior to Thanksgiving, but something happened to the post, sorry. Either way, it is applicable for any holiday season and meal.

    ReplyDelete