Tuesday, November 24, 2009

How Far Will You Go?

As any pregnant woman, mom, or spouse knows, somewhere in the 25th or 26th week of pregnancy, women have to take a glucose tolerance test. Basically, the test is administered to ensure that a woman is not on the verge of developing gestational diabetes causing both the baby and mother to have health complications.

Anyway, as is my normal routine with the past 3 children, I take the one hour and I have yet to fall within the "normal range." Because my body was not able to fully break down the glucose juice, I had to follow-up with the 3 hour long glucose test. Each time I take the 3 hour test, it comes back well within the normal range. This is normally a good indication that all is fine with both me and the baby.

Since moving to New Orleans and having a different Obstetrician, I have found that some physicians are more than just cautious. They are overly cautious. Despite my previous medical history, my knowledge of my own body, and diet, my current OB decided that he would lump me with his group of "diabetic" patients. Oh, I guess I should state again...I am NOT Diabetic. I merely was 7 points higher than the allowable "normal" range for my one hour test. This could have been caused by my eating too much candy from Holloween, or my late night snack every night before going to bed, or even not drinking enough water the previous few days.

Therefore, my OB prescribed me to perform four skin pricks per day, draw blood, and then record the results in a journal. He wants me to do this for the next two to three months. His logic and rationale is that by monitoring my blood level daily, he can ensure that I don't fall in the gestational diabetic realm (because I scored 7 pounds outside of the normal range on my 1 hour test and the 3 hour was normal).

How far should I go to stand up for my beliefs and wishes? I know that I am not nor have I ever been diabetic. I will not idly stand by and be a pin cushion, nor will I allow my doctor to solely determine what he feels is best for me. I appreciate his experience and wisdom, yet I reserve the right to respectively disagree and decline. A part of health care is open discourse and discussion with my health care provider. I could choose a different provider, but what if I go from bad to worse? What if I choose a different provider and have no connection with that physician? What if that physician is worse than this one? What if I stay where I am and do nothing?

Open discussion is the course of action that I am going to choose. However, I will stand my ground and express myself. I will not continue to do the skin pricks nor will I subject myself to mindless testing all for the sake of "caution." It is time that patients stand up for their right to have a say so in their healthcare. It is time that we take an active interest in our health and the course of treatment that effect us and our families. Whether you are a pregnant woman, mother of children, grandmother or father, or anyone needing healthcare, this message is for you. it is time we stand up and become informed on our health, our options, and our insurance.

It seems that in this time of healthcare debates and reform, open discussion is needed now more than ever. We have to want to be informed, get involved, and take an active interest in our lives. In order to laugh out loud, and enjoy our families today, everyday, and in the future, we have to step out of our normal routine and do all we have to do to ensure our health, safety, and care.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and Christmas season!

2 comments:

  1. HellOoooOo my friend!
    I have been thinking of you and praying for your healthy baby boy and your beautiful family. I hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving.
    I loved this post. I'm so with you on standing up for our rights. Boy I could share a book of what I went through with Brayden's illness this summer. But I'm so happy to hear that you are making the judgement call for you and your baby, guided by wisdom and experience.
    I am so excited to hear this baby Cadet is here- keep me in the loop, okay? Hope that you enjoy a gorgeous Christmas season, your last as a family of FIVE! Having four little ones is awesome and such a tremendous blessing, I'm excited for you to experience it =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I glean so much from you and all of your fantastic Posts!!! I hope and pray I can do everything as seemless as you make it appear! LOL!!! We will keep you guys updated. Thanks for the comments and check out the next post.

    ReplyDelete