Sunday, December 6, 2009

Healthcare Stance Pt. 2

I just had two weeks of finger pricks, blood draws, and completely normal results! I called the attending nurse after faxing her my weekly results. I informed her that I would no longer continue the process as I committed to only two weeks and no more. She was somewhat surprised at my announcement, but reluctantly accepted this. She told me she would call me next week to make sure that I didn't change my mind. I reassured her that I wouldn't.

To this her reply was, "well, you will have to speak with your physician and get his approval before stopping the monitoring."

I wondered what in the world was going through this nurse's mind the entire conversation and doubted whether or not she remembers our initial discussion or even paid attention to this current dialogue. Again, I restated, "I explained to both you and to my OB that I was not diabetic. Your tests confirmed this result. I entertained these last two weeks to not only ensure I was well within the normal guidelines, but also to ease all of our concerns. Having done that, I feel confident that it is my privilege and right to refuse further treatments."

She put up a weak fight again and asked, "when is your next OB appointment?"

"It is tomorrow," I politely, yet adamantly responded.

"Well, your OB still has to call me, but in case he doesn't I need to hear back from you too."

"Not a problem, I'll call you as soon as I leave the appointment." With that, I got off the phone and eagerly anticipated the showdown with my OB. Showdown because I was enrolled in a course of treatment I was not originally a part of. I felt hoodwinked and bamboozled. However, that wouldn't happen again.

At the appointment, I informed my OB that I wouldn't participate in any more of the finger pricks. I was done. I was well aware of my body, eating habits, physical exercise, amount of water I drank, and even monitored the amount of sweets I consumed. I was choosing to not accept this treatment any longer.

"Well, Mrs. Cadet, it is a service we offer. You seem like a very intelligent patient and your decision is fine. We mainly suggest this to our patients because many of them need monitoring and help to control all of the factors that you just listed. Obviously you don't so I see no further issue."

"Well, Doctor, glad you agree with me. Can you please call the nurse so that she is aware of this conversation and understands that this is not only authorized, but in MY best judgment?"

"Sure, I'll have my nurse call her today. Thanks and have a great day."

With that, the OB left the room, I got dressed and life went back to normal.

Moral of the story is that when you are informed of not only the purpose of treatments, your physical health, and even what your rights are as a patient, you are in the drivers seat and can have an intelligent discussion with your physician.

The talks we have heard about with all the different discussions on health care, mammograms and the the such will do you no good if you are ill informed and go only with the flow. You have to stand up for your rights and research your options. Only then will you be able to make decisions that positively impact your and your family's lives.

So, as I did, I invite you to Laugh out Loud and Enjoy your family today.

No comments:

Post a Comment