Thursday, July 15, 2010

Celebrating Mediocrity


I just recently got a postcard in the mail from an online company touting that they were 2 for 2! This is the second year in a row that this company is #2 in customer satisfaction. At first, I was really surprised at reading that this company was so proud of being #2, much less for 2 years in a row. Then, I wanted to know what was the name of the #1 company. If and when I shop online, I'd rather shop with the company that is known for their level of outstanding support and customer service.

Immediately, I had to begin examining myself and thoughts. Aren't we supposed to be excited about being the best? Aren't we trained and conditioned to desire to be#1? Why do we continue to be ok with being average? Then I thought about it a little more. Prior to 2 years ago, what number was this company? Were they #15, #10, or even #5 and are now inching up in pursuit of greatness? Have they managed to finally break out of the pack and for them, #2 is as good as being #1 because of how far they have come? Are they on the verge of unseating the #1 company and wanted to let all of their previous customers now?

Then, I stopped, thought about it for a minute, and wondered if I've fallen into this train of thought with my own family. Am I training my children to accept mediocrity in any form? Am I creating an environment where being #1 is the only "acceptable" way to be? Have I ingrained in their minds that if they weren't great at something, but worked hard to get better, it's still only OK, and not great? What value do I place on effort?

I have to admit, it makes me want to stop, take stock, and applaud every time one of my children do anything mildly great. Not that I want to celebrate mediocrity, but I do want to let them know that greatness comes in all forms and effort means a lot!

Not sure how you feel about it, but I won't celebrate being average. I will push my children to be the best they can be, but I will expect them to give a terrific effort in the process. I encourage you to examine your thoughts and actions, but more importantly to laugh out loud and enjoy your family today.

Feel free to read my Examiner articles or e-mail me at dorothy@dacbooks.com.

*image courtesy of Getty Images: Todd Warshaw Getty Images Sport featuring Dale Earnhardt Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment